Monday, October 5, 2009

Oh, to be Three Again

Tooie turned three last week. His GrandMarmot sent him two dollars via the USPS. There was much rejoicing all around. He carried his two dollars around with him everywhere for a couple of days, set them down along with his birthday card next to him on the sidewalk, and patted them every now and then. He refused to let me put them in his pocket because he wanted to be holding them whenever possible.

Today we finally went out to spend his money, after a nasty round of the stomach flu for everyone. Before we left he was very worried because he didn't have any "round money" for an ice cream cone. So M traded him a dollar in change for one of the paper dollars, which she likes better, anyway. And off we went. We had a few stops to make before we finally made it to the thrift store. He found a little Fisher-Price airplane (not quite like the one I got him for his birthday, but good enough, and only 1/10th of the price I paid, even though mine was second-hand, too) for $1.50 and paid for it proudly. (He and M played dueling airplanes all afternoon.)

Then I had mentioned going to the grocery store for a $.50 ice cream cone afterwards, but, heaven help me, I had been running errands for three solid hours with three little kids, and I just couldn't do it. So, as he cried, I promised him that Daddy would take him on a special trip tonight to get his ice cream cone. Heh heh heh. Sorry, Papa. What I didn't know was that Daddy would have to stay at work until 6:30, after having arrived there around 6:30 a.m. But I couldn't postpone the poor child's joy any longer.

So after dinner we popped him into his pajamas and sent him on his way to get his ice cream. Marmot Dad reports that as Tooie was slowly falling asleep in the grocery store, and as his ice cream cone, paid for with his very own (round) money, kept dipping towards the floor, he announced, "Daddy, this . . . this . . . this . . . this was . . . this was . . . this was . . . a good day."

Thank you, GrandMarmot!

2 comments:

Papa said...

"That boy is sweet as sugar." per Mom

JAMES said...

he is my favorite three year old.