Sunday, March 1, 2009

Did It Honk?

Last night at oh around 2 a.m. little Marmot Babe started throwing a fit. As I was lying down and holding him and trying to keep him from flinging himself off the bed he arched his back real hard and came down directly on the bridge of my nose. It made the most horrifying snapping and splintering sound--Marmot Dad leapt out of bed and started hyperventilating. I saw stars. As I pushed on my nose it made a quiet and not at all comfortable clicking noise.

I don't think it's broken, but it is very bruised. It throbbed all night long, and today it still feels like something very heavy is pressing on the bridge of my nose. (Marmot Dad says he thinks maybe I reset it myself.) (Fortunately I have hoarded my narcotic pain reliever from the birth of said Marmot Babe and had one left so I could sleep through the throbbing last night.)

Before church started this morning, Marmot Dad and I were rehearsing my narrow brush with death. "It sounded so awful," he said. "I know," I answered. "My body has never made such a noise before."

M, sitting between us, looked up with absolutely earnest eyes, and asked these immortal words: "Did it honk??"

3 comments:

CSIowa said...

I read this last night, and it seemed timely to share:

"As for her face, well, that was pretty enough--in an odd, irregular sort of way. There was something strange about her nose, which had the slightly angled look of a nose that had been broken. Men were generally improved by broken noses, which added character to the masculine face, but a broken nose could be more difficult for a woman." (Alexander McCall Smith, Love Over Scotland, 74-5).

I guess it's a good thing you reset it. I hope it doesn't prove "difficult" and stops throbbing soon.

JAMES said...

too bad it didn't honk...

SCS said...

There's not much you could do to make my nose look worse, broken or not . . . (thanks a lot, grandma)

honk honk